YouTube

Be professional, do it now

By , Assignment Editor  |  Wednesday, February 29, 2012 11:06 PM

Being a Tommie makes me proud. We work hard, and when we graduate we’re told we’re wanted in the “adult world” because we are professional, respectable and knowledgeable.  ops_logo

But as I walked back from my Christian Marriage class last week, I couldn’t get what my professor said out of my head: “Do it now.” No matter the context she said it in, I felt like it could be applied to one particular area in my life, being a respectable young woman. However, as I reflected on myself, I couldn’t help but notice the girls I passed on my way to my next class: the ones ruining it for the rest of us.

According to a study by the Center for Professional Excellence at York College, about one-third of human resource respondents and 36.5 percent of managers believe new employees have less professionalism than five years ago.

This could be due to appearances, the way we carry ourselves or the “anti-social media skills” we’ve acquired in the last few years.

I’m not sure, but one thing I do know is that girls on campus need to start respecting themselves, and they need to do it now.

A few ways to get on the road to recovery:

1. Ditch the talk about how amazing Thursday at Tiffs is going to be this week. Getting together with your girlfriends, wearing tight black skirts, showing your shoulders and disrespecting yourselves by getting belligerent to trudge your way to the shuttle is not OK. There are exactly 52 Thursdays in the year, and taking a break from drinking so much that it makes you act dumb would not hurt. Not only will this help your grades, but your body will thank you in the morning because you’ll be able to use your brain instead of letting it sit like oatmeal in your head.

2. Put yourself together every day. Walking to class with see-through leggings is not professional. Wear nice pants, a conservative shirt, comb your hair instead of bundling it on top of your head and put yourself together. Not only is it good practice for the “adult world,” but you’ll feel better, people will take you seriously and hopefully you’ll feel more productive. Try it. It just might work.

3. Line up an internship for the summer. “Nanny” doesn’t quite classify as a qualification for the “adult world” on your resume. Be proactive. Visit the Career Development Center, talk to your friends that do internships, sign up for “Take a Tommie to Lunch,” learn how to write a cover letter and apply. Not only will it help you get a leg up on other students who are still nannying in their senior summer, but you might even grow up a little.

I can’t say that women are the only ones not respecting themselves on this campus or that there are a lot of students like this. However, I can say this: If we don’t start respecting ourselves in college, how is anyone supposed to respect us in the real world? Stay in on a Thursday night, put yourself together, get that internship but most importantly… respect yourself. Don’t wait to be a responsible young adult. Do it now.

Hannah Anderson can be reached at ande5385@stthomas.edu.

We appreciate your comments. However, some were removed because they violated our terms of service and were inappropriate. These comments should not have been approved in the first place, and we apologize for the mistake. We encourage the free exchange of ideas on our site but in a respectful way. Also, all comments must include a first and last name and valid email address.

This item was posted in Opinions and has 91 comments so far.

91 Comments

1. Dick Houck, ’51
    Mar. 1, 2012 11:49 AM

Good for you Hannah. You only get respect from others when you respect yourself enough to demand respect. As a career business owner, we only hire those who command respect enough that they will command respect for the business for whom they work. I remember the days when downtown was populated by men wearing suits and women wearing skirts and dress-up was something understood when out in public. Indeed, times have changed, but not for those who want to be respected and respect for others. Despite what the modern concept is, visual appearance has much to do with what others opinion is of you, and if you don’t care about that, any potential employeer won’t care about it either. Your assessment is right on, but unfortunately, many will think you “old fashioned” or “out of step” and not take your advice, to their detriment. You will go far with that attitude and have it all over the others. Good shot.

2. Steve Jones
    Mar. 1, 2012 12:57 PM

Pot meet kettle. Kettle meet pot

3. Luke Ginger
    Mar. 1, 2012 8:35 PM

4) take real classes (i.e. not Christian marriage).

4. Jennifer Graffunder
    Mar. 1, 2012 9:47 PM

I’ve been the kind of person who dresses up for class since I was in high school. I see where you’re coming from– how you present yourself can dramatically impact your attitude. And I agree that we can (and should!) do a lot to prepare ourselves for the professional world outside of school. However, I’m deeply troubled by several of your underlying assumptions.

The first assumption stems from the fact that you don’t mention guys once. I understand that you’re a woman and you’re writing about what you know, but you’re not doing your argument any favors by limiting it to once group. Can’t guys be unprofessional? What about the guys on campus in pajama pants and messy hair? You seem to be saying that a young woman who does not comport herself “properly” is extremely threatening simply by virtue of her existence. Although you spend the bulk of the article explaining why adhering to these norms would benefit the girls in question, you nevertheless begin with an absurdly judgmental statement: “As I reflected on myself, I couldn’t help but notice the girls I passed on my way to my next class: the ones ruining it for the rest of us.” So a girl who makes the decision to sleep in a few extra minutes and dress down for class is somehow cheapening your degree? Are you a…

5. Jennifer Graffunder
    Mar. 1, 2012 10:01 PM

better person than the girl at Tiff’s simply because you fulfill society’s requirements for respectability? I would guess that you don’t think so, but it doesn’t change the fact that you’re coming across as incredibly superior. When I was a child, I was a horrible tattletale, and my dad would always ask me, “Jen, who do you need to be worried about?” Sullenly, I would answer, “Myself.” Spend time worrying about your own professionalism. What does it matter to you if your classmate doesn’t brush her hair for class?

And what’s with hating on nannying? Girls who choose to nanny beyond their junior summer are somehow immature? I work in childcare and I deal with this attitude on a regular basis. It’s “lesser work,” after all– not “stimulating” or “important” enough for college educated young women. For some people, taking care of children IS a professional skill. This idea that childcare work simply “doesn’t count” is ludicrous. I do real work. It may not be “professional” enough for your taste, but the kids in my program have parents that are– cardiologists, professors, lawyers, engineers– they can do their jobs in peace knowing their kids are being attentively cared for.

6. Madeline Carlson
    Mar. 1, 2012 10:29 PM

“The challenge of leadership is to be strong, but not rude; be kind, but not weak; be bold, but not bully; be thoughtful, but not lazy; be humble, but not timid; be proud, but not arrogant; have humor, but without folly.”
    -Jim Rohn
    It is important to remember that we are all different. The way we choose to dress, the place we choose to work and the things we like to do in our spare time are all different but they do not make us any less important than others or any less respectful of ourselves. Before we judge and insult others we should take a moment to realize that we are all human. Everyone has a different plan for their future, but it is the people who are kind to all others who will be happiest and most successful in the end.

7. Sarah Jane Tate
    Mar. 1, 2012 10:56 PM

Hear, hear Jen! I am a mother of three, and just graduated, sometimes I dressed nicely for class other times I arrived realising I had baby puke in my hair, cheerios in my pocket, and a squeezie “Sophie the Giraffe” in my backpack! Assumptions are dangerous. Why should women dress nicely to gain respect, while their male counterparts walk around in shorts and flip flops in the dead of winter.
    Why did you put nanny in quotations? Insinuating that this is not a real profession? As a member of a catholic institution one would think that you would respect the family unit and realise that nannying is and always will be a very important job! After all, these women are helping shape your future leaders! I’d say being Responsible for other people’s children is very adult like, perhaps you should try it before you knock it!

8. Kelley riley
    Mar. 1, 2012 11:39 PM

I just want to say that this paper is not only poorly written but the issues brought up are totally irrelevant to what professionalism is. Being a college student and being a professional is the business world are not related. So many people have a functional social life while having a good time and last time i checked your college grade doesnt account for the attire you wear.

9. Brendan Ekstrom
    Mar. 2, 2012 8:55 AM

Holy mass over-generalizations, Batman!

10. Tom Kreitzer ’11
    Mar. 2, 2012 11:15 AM

@ Luke….  funny!

11. Todd Anderson
    Mar. 2, 2012 1:59 PM

Small-minded, judgmental people get no further in life than people who nanny, go to Tiff’s on Thursday, or don’t always dress “conservatively.”

12. Kathryn Pogin
    Mar. 2, 2012 11:50 PM

Yes, let’s demean women for adhering to social norms they’re enculturated to follow and excluded for ignoring, without any conversation whatsoever about the problematic cultural forces that constitute those norms. Let’s say that women do not respect themselves when they show their shoulders (!?) or wear short skirts, regardless of the fact that men can show just as much of their bodies without any such consequences, and even though the reasons anyone is inclined to think that showing a little leg might be wrong is really about the behavior of others, and not intrinsically about the behavior of the one who’s legs are in question. Let’s assume that women who drink act dumb. Or are dumb. Let’s excuse others for not taking people seriously based on appearances, rather than trying to find more reliable ways of determining who ought to be taken seriously. And let’s say that folks who engage in difficult work that’s stereotypically feminine (i.e., Nannies) aren’t doing serious or responsible work.

Or we could engage in a bit more critical thinking.

13. James Roberi
    Mar. 3, 2012 4:42 AM

So now they are deleting comments on this post, is this not a piece that is supposed to be crticized and by deleting all these comments is that not goinn against our constitutional right for freedom of speech?

14. David Masak
    Mar. 3, 2012 3:31 PM

I agree with every thing that was stated in the above article.

Being also a Male, I must say that I take pride in being as professional as I can when going to class. Granted, most of the time I am wearing some sort of St. Thomas sweatshirt, it is because I tend to be giving tours of the campus that day. Regardless of that fact, I agree that women need to dress more professional and act more professional, but also that guys need to. It says more about who you are.

Coming from a guy, when I see women on our campus walking around in Leggings, I literally just want to vomit or puke because it looks too trashy. It doesn’t look at all respectful. I hate to say this, I really do, and I apoklogize for this, but women claim they want respect, but then go around doing bizarre things and having “girlish fun”. Girlish fun is good, I am not sayibng it is not, but there needs to be a limit on what you do and how you act. How you act in college will translate to how you  act in the professional world

15. Brendan Ekstrom
    Mar. 4, 2012 11:17 AM

Coming from a guy, when I see women on our campus walking around in Leggings, I literally just want to do the exact opposite of vomit or puke. (And I say that with the upmost respect for women.)

Also, James, I don’t think any comments that were previously posted here got deleted. All comments are moderated, and some get deleted before ever getting posted for one reason or another. It’s all in the Terms of Service you agreed to.  Are you seeing otherwise? (Also, since TM isn’t the government, they can limit your free speech all they want.)

16. Landon Rick
    Mar. 5, 2012 8:34 AM

@Brendan, there are definitely several comments that have been deleted, almost all of which were calling the author of the article out for doing everything she was “putting-down” within the article. Come on TommieMedia?!

17. John Grupa
    Mar. 5, 2012 12:00 PM

Really David????

18. Matthew Plese
    Mar. 5, 2012 2:29 PM

@Luke, how rude. Christian marriage is certainly a class, as are any of the courses offered by UST.

19. Paul Mpanga
    Mar. 5, 2012 7:43 PM

I just lost a couple of brain cells!!!

20. Calvin Hauer
    Mar. 5, 2012 10:06 PM

Ummm, Well… We are in college. This is also known as not the real world. If you dress up for class, great for you. If you don’t, great for you. What you wear in class has no bearing on what you do after UST.
    Also, if you go to the bar on Thursday, guess what?! You are acting like an adult. Happy Hour does not apply to only college kids.
    While you are out judging people on their appearance, I’m going to be developing my professional portfolio, while wearing what I want. This is because I am a 22 year old college kid.

So since this article was written, can I write one called “Wear What You Want In College, DO IT NOW”?

21. James Roberi
    Mar. 6, 2012 2:22 AM

@Calvin I would read that article and post it on my fridge!

22. Cristina Leifson
    Mar. 6, 2012 10:18 AM

You guys I have this problem.  This morning I woke up feeling really confident, having all this respect for myself and it was great.  But then last night I went to a bar while wearing (*gasp!) a TIGHT BLACK SKIRT, then this morning I put on a pair of leggings quick before running to class and by time I got to class all my self-respect was gone!  Where did it go?!  How can I find it? I put out a wanted ad for it on craigslist, but shortly thereafter (THANK GOD) I found a pair of pants that don’t make other people want to puke because I don’t think I could live knowing someone else doesn’t like how I dress.  No, shut up.  Don’t tell women they don’t have respect for themselves based on what they wear, you don’t know them, you don’t get to decide what is appropriate for them.  Interesting that men weren’t mentioned in the article once.  Got misogyny? (thinking women have to act a specific way or they aren’t worth respecting)?  THAT makes me want to puke.

23. Cristina Leifson
    Mar. 6, 2012 10:22 AM

Also, to first commenter: “Despite what the modern concept is, visual appearance has much to do with what others opinion is of you, and if you don’t care about that, any potential employeer won’t care about it either. Your assessment is right on, but unfortunately, many will think you “old fashioned” or “out of step” and not take your advice, to their detriment.”  Just people students don’t dress who you and your standards from ’51 think they should doesn’t mean they don’t care about how they dress.  Please stop trying to dictate this generation with rules that disappeared long ago.

24. Katy Vang
    Mar. 6, 2012 12:33 PM

Wow. I congratulate you, Hannah, on your ability to condense all “slut-shaming” (read: shaming women who take control and responsibility for their own bodies) into one convenient post. Please understand that the scale in your mind that determines what is “professional” is not consistent with the scales in other people’s minds. I would go so far as to say the idea of a scale of “professionalism” is ridiculous, since there is no universal standard by which we can all adhere without receiving negative feedback from someone. Please understand that your opinion regarding your personal style is YOUR OPINION. It is not a universal law that all people should adhere to lest they “ruin it for the rest of us”. Mind you, I certainly don’t feel like I’m at a disadvantage because someone else feels comfortable enough to expose the bodies that their Creator gave them. If you honestly believe that women who love their bodies are secretly ashamed of themselves, then I would suggest that you seek out a bodypositive group that is willing to help you understand that loving and respecting each other regardless of how we look or dress is essential to loving yourself. Please try to love yourself and love others regardless of whether or not you can see their “naughty bits” (whatever those…

25. Katy Vang
    Mar. 6, 2012 12:37 PM

Hello David. If you honestly feel like vomiting or puking upon seeing other people’s bodies, you should maybe see a doctor. It seems dangerous that your well-being hinges entirely on what other people drape their bodies in. Women were not put on this earth to please you. “Professionalism” is not some kind of fee I have to pay to take up a space on this earth that is marked “female”. If I feel like dressing in a “trashy” way, it is not up for discussion. You do not get a vote on whether or not a girl wears leggings. Please get over yourself, and Please try to remember in the future that these women who disgust you are fellow human beings who deserve love and respect no matter what they wear.

26. Anne Mackin
    Mar. 6, 2012 1:06 PM

Really? After reading this article and all the comments, I feel the need to reply as well. I went to a school with mandatory uniforms for preschool to 12th grade, so forgive me if I want to wear sweatpants and no makeup to class. I am going to class to LEARN. I am not going to class to impress the people around me, they’re not interviewing me for my future career. I am building the skills necessary to succeed in the work-world, and that takes a lot of effort. Next time you wake up after 3 hours of sleep after a night of studying and stumble into 8:15am Organic Chemistry, feel free to send me a picture of your ‘nice’ outfit. Also, some people have to take summer classes and many internships just don’t work around them. Other people simply need to make money (we DO go to an expensive private college…) and nannying is one of the best ways to do so. Don’t be so quick to judge, it only reflects poorly on yourself. I am deeply offended by your article and your rash over-generalizations.

27. Justin Scharpen
    Mar. 6, 2012 3:38 PM

The article above is certainly interesting. While professionalism has a place, the tone in the article seemed judgmental which never sits well with society – evident here as well. In my opinion, people can wear just about whatever they want, when they want. As for what the author calls “practice for the real world”, I feel as if college should merely give one the knowledge to apply professionalism in the “real world” upon graduation. Now whether or not students should dress professionally in college is completely up to them alone. Something I learned early after graduation last Spring is that we all can only sweep our side of the street. One can certainly maintain being a responsible young adult and not conform to the so called standards some people wish we all abide by. One of the takeaways for me regarding the article was that the decisions one makes in college can end up affecting a whole lifetime. Whether those decisions can be classified as “bad” or “good” is not for anyone else to judge. Our lives are made whole by ALL decisions made or unmade.

28. Anne Gaslin
    Mar. 6, 2012 5:57 PM

Almost everything in this article is offensive in one way or another.  I completely agree with Anne, you are completely stereotyping women at St. Thomas and are being totally condescending to your audience.   In regards to your first step on the ‘road to recovery’, I know plenty of UST students who are able to balance good grades and a fun social life and that’s unfortunate for you if you haven’t figured out how to do that for yourself.  As for your ‘second step’, no one cares what you wear to class.  College is our last chance to wear what we want on a daily basis and not have to make ourselves look professional if we don’t want to. As for your last ridiculous step for ‘redemption’, I have been a nanny for the past four summers and make more money per hour than I could at any other job or internship that I have found, plus an extremely flexible schedule and no tax on my income.  I don’t know about you but making the most money possible is typically my goal for summers so that I can work less during the school and focus on other things with less financial worries.  Try getting off your high horse and considering what you’re saying and how judgmental you’re being before writing your next article.

29. Kate Kollmann
    Mar. 6, 2012 7:53 PM

Wait… did you just say that it was wrong to show your shoulders? And its all of a sudden wrong you wear a bun on top of my head instead of having my hair in my face all day? What century are you stuck in? I sincerely hope, for your sake, that you get off of your high horse and realize that the only person you really need to worry about is yourself. I hope all future employers can see this article. Being RUDE and NASTY is the lowest low of UNprofessionalism.

30. Liz Hanlon
    Mar. 6, 2012 7:53 PM

It really makes me angry how you are belittling “nanying” in this article. I happened to nanny this summer for 4 children- 3 with special needs. It was the HARDEST work I have ever done in my entire life. Not only was I caring for the children so their parents could go to work and make a living and provide for their kids, I was also helping them to grow and learn, something that is important in child development, in case you didn’t know. Also while I was nannying, I figured out what I want to do with my life- work with special needs kids! And guess what else? I’m going to put this job on my resume! So the next time you think that “nannying” isn’t a real job, why don’t you come spend a few hours with me and these 4 children…
    I personally feel that you shouldn’t care about what other girls here on campus are doing with their lives, because I don’t see how that affects your professional life in any way. If I choose to get drunk at Tiffs on Thursday, be stupid in the morning and wear leggings to class, that is my decision, and no employer is going to look at you and say “Oh, well you go to St. Thomas and I hear many of those girls wear leggings to class and get beligerant at Tiffs on Thursdays, so by association I will not hire you.” Start worrying about yourself,…

31. Eric Andersen
    Mar. 6, 2012 8:01 PM

Let’s hope not everyone in our Tommie Media office isn’t this obstinate and narrow-minded…

32. Brigid Galvin
    Mar. 6, 2012 8:23 PM

1.) Wow, sexist much? this isn’t even a creative re-doing of the virgin vs whore argument, women are so much more than that. The only one “ruining” anything for you, is yourself and your unprofessional attitude towards other women on this campus.

2.) Nannying is a real job, being in charge of children is a full-time job and important. Stay at home moms make taking care of children their full time job, and this is no-less important of a job.

3.) Working at Tommie Media is a real job?

4.) Feminism is all about choice, and while i may disagree that leggings are pants, i also enjoy them and find them very comfortable, sometimes function comes before fashion. And i support a person’s (men and women) right to choose what they wear. Also, leggings can be worn professionally, who made you the fashion police?

5.) Don’t judge a book by it’s cover, you don’t know anything about these people, their schedule, their lifestyle, ANYTHING!

6.) Sorry for partying

33. Mellaney Peper
    Mar. 6, 2012 9:14 PM

Thank you for your opinion. However, we have been in the “real” world since we were born. I have a friend in college whose father has brain cancer. I took care of my grandmother for a summer while she starved and died of cancer because she couldn’t eat. I lost one of my best friends in high school in a plane crash. Those are just a few moments I’ve had in my life and only a few when combined with all of our life experience at UST. We’re IN the real world right now! Life is NEVER easy and life is never “unreal.” It is not as if we are going to suddenly appear in the “real world” when we reach the “adult world.”  I understand that this is an “opinion” piece, but my opinion is to concern oneself with his or her own professionalism. Whatever other men or women decide to do is not going to “ruin it for the rest of us.” We are all adults here and we are all members of the “adult world” already. No matter what, we all deserve respect. We know nothing about another’s schedule, personal values, morals or financial means. I highly doubt that anyone wakes up, goes to their closet and says “Hm, I think I am going to disrespect myself today and wear this!”

34. Mellaney Peper
    Mar. 6, 2012 9:16 PM

“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”  Matthew 6:19-21

35. Brigid Galvin
    Mar. 6, 2012 9:22 PM

Also:
    1.) This article has led myself to drink an alcoholic beverage

2.) After reading this, i am actually going to purchase leggings

3.) Sorry for partying, again

36. Matt Moore
    Mar. 6, 2012 9:23 PM

This article is missing the mark. Dressing professional & acting professional is not a guarantee to success. Having the knowledge is what matters. Wearing a suit to class will not help you get better grades. It takes much more then being professional.
    Time and time again as a video freelancer in the media I’ve gotten the job over others who dress fancy but know nothing about what they’re doing. (I wear jeans & tshirt to work every day fyi). The clothes I wear does not determine the quality of my work. I act professional and have a tremendous respect for my work and the people I work with. As a young person I don’t have the years of experience that others do but I gain trust and respect from my colleagues from the quality of my work.
    As a person in the media I can say humbleness, respect, and knowledge in your field speaks volumes. Much more then simply dressing the part. This article shows none of those qualities. It’s a bit ironic an article about being professional is highly unprofessional.

37. Michael Becker
    Mar. 6, 2012 9:45 PM

@Katy, I think you hit the nail on the head when you said that this was just the writer’s opinion.  Exactly.  This is an opinion piece, and I don’t think people are taking that into consideration before commenting on this article. We all have opinions and viewpoints that others may find offensive or disagree with, but to twist it into thinking this was some sort of personal attack, (I think) was not the writer’s intent.  But before commenting on OPINION pieces, remember that they are OPINION pieces.

38. Breanna Viere
    Mar. 6, 2012 10:26 PM

I can’t say that I completely agree with this article. Yes, I do agree that St. Thomas girls do where short black shirt to the bar. But don’t girls from other schools do to? Isn’t that kinda the point? Nobody wants to be the girl in the oversized sweater sweating because there are so many people compacted in the small vicinity of Tiffs. Most girls are trying to be confident and comfortable in what they are wearing. Although this may hinder your confidence, they are just trying to portray who they are. Isn’t that what life’s about? Being who you are and accepting those around you for who they are? People change with the setting they are put into. Over time things change, but right now girls are just trying to have the fun and look hot before they are pregnant, yah idiot!!  Let them dress and act how they want to. How does what someone wears for a night truly.. like you said “However, as I reflected on myself, I couldn’t help but notice the girls I passed on my way to my next class: the ones ruining it for the rest of us.” Nobody reflects on other people. We decide who we want to be as a person and “go with it.” Everyone is different. You should know that coming out of christian marriage. I know a lot of people are hating on you, but after reading these comments you…

39. Breanna Viere
    Mar. 6, 2012 10:30 PM

Look back at your post and realize you were generalizing way to much about girls here at UST. Yes, we are called the “ken and barbie school” but that doesn’t mean we all conform to the norm. Own what you want to be, but don’t judge others on what they are trying to be. Until I see you on fashion police, keep your thoughts to yourself about wardrobe. I’m sure you’re a great girl. Just don’t be out ridiculing other on who they want to be. To each their own.

40. Chris Nathan
    Mar. 6, 2012 11:38 PM

It seems like you’ve learned a lot here at St. Thomas… How to dress nice, how to brush your hair in the morning, and wow! You even got a good summer job!!! Most of all, I’m really glad to see you that St. Thomas has taught you to stick your nose up even higher in the air and criticize those below you. Professionalism has its time and place and so do your egotistical judgments. Save them for your twitter feed or write them in your diary, but please spare your classmates your public lecture.

41. Jenny Humphry
    Mar. 7, 2012 1:30 AM

This is extremely judgmental. Not only is it ridiculing females who dress a certain way and enjoy being social on the weekends, but it is as if you are trying to say that these females will be unsuccessful in their lives unless they completely change who they are. I think the ones who will be successful are the ones who realize that physical appearance does not make or break a person in any way. This is also EXTREMELY sexist. I don’t think I need to point out why, it is pretty obvious. I wish a more respectful person could re-write this in a way that only states the benefits of being professional, instead of degrading women for what they wear and do. I thought we were in college here, not Junior High.

42. Kate Kollmann
    Mar. 7, 2012 2:27 AM

@Michael Becker, I get your point but my question to Tommie Media is this, If write an article about all the snobby girls on campus that take themselves way too seriously and give them ‘tips’ on how to ‘improve’ themselves, will you publish it in your so called ‘Opinions’ section? Yes, Michael, everyone is entitled an opinion but shame on Tommie Media for publishing such a low-class, discriminatory, egotistical, nonsensical rant. This girl is obviously bitter because no one invites her to Thursdays at Tiffs, I wonder why…..

43. Vincent Phillips
    Mar. 7, 2012 10:53 AM

I think everyone should be lovers to one another.

44. Jeff Sevaldson
    Mar. 7, 2012 11:09 AM

I am all for people respecting themselves but I think each person has a different way of doing so – “to each their own”

45. Blair Jones
    Mar. 7, 2012 1:59 PM

for the record, my “leggings” cost more than your khaki slacks, paisley sweater, and doc martens.

. . . .combined.

46. Layne Krantz
    Mar. 7, 2012 2:07 PM

I wear leggings and my hair in a high-bun 5 days a week to class, and guess what? I “somehow managed” to land an internship at one of the top financial and accounting firms in the nation.
    …and I’ve been a nanny for the past 5 summers. According to you, I should be unsuccessful and stupid.

Riddle me that, Hannah Anderson.

47. Marley Waller
    Mar. 7, 2012 2:29 PM

After reading this article last night, I decided to put away all of my leggings. After doing so, I arrived to class this morning only to realize that I had no pants on at all! Whoops!! Hope my booty didn’t ruin it for the rest of you!

48. David Masak
    Mar. 7, 2012 4:01 PM

First of all I would like to apologize for some of the comments that I made earlier. What I said was not meant to be taken literal.

Hannah, you were right in speaking your mind, my comments I want to take back, because I feel as though they were not well thought out and my thoughts were not well formulated.

It is interesting to see where everyone is coming from, but I am just wondering what Hannah would have to say right now with the discussion and debate that has happened.

Again, my comments earlier were not meant to be so harsh, or for them to be completely born out of proportion, like mine were. The comments on vomit and puking were just a figure out speech which everyone seems to have taken literally.

Again, I would like to apologize for “speaking my mind” like Hannah did, but I do not see any harm in speaking your mind. The attacks that are happening on this article is absolutely shocking, and I hope everyone is aware at some of the harm that these words and opinions might have.

cheers everyone!

49. Cassandra Meffert
    Mar. 7, 2012 5:57 PM

‘Opinion Column’ is right. Real awesome to degrade your own sex, especially when it’s hard enough the way it is for women to be seen as equals. I trust, by the looks of these comments, you’ve been put in your place.

50. Amy Stone
    Mar. 7, 2012 6:02 PM

After reading your post, I want to share a few thoughts you might want to consider before posting something the University can see. First, I personally feel beautiful and confident when my hair is back and im wearing my favorite pair of sweatpants. Maybe its you who needs to work on your confidence and feel good about yourself, not just by the clothes you have on. Second, I have been extremely sick the past year- in and out of the hospital. Most days I am so tired and roll right out of bed before class. Am I the one you passed thats “ruining it” for you? I feel sorry for you if it was me, cause I probably had my hospital bracelets right under my sweatshirt and dark circles under my eyes from a late night in the ER. Before your so quick to judge, consider your sources.

I love fashion and have an overflowing closet filled with beautiful clothes like most girls here at UST. I also know the time and place to look nice, and I can tell you I don’t need “practice” on how to get ready for my job. If I make friends in class, its not going to be someone that cares that I am wearing a huge sweatshirt, they will be attracted to my personality. And for my teachers, I want them to be impressed by my work, not my wardrobe.

Do you have younger siblings? Do you know how much…

51. Amy Stone
    Mar. 7, 2012 6:03 PM

takes to care for children and have them look up to you, watching your every move? Good for you for landing an internship, but shame on you for demeaning nannys. Its a great job and my mother, who is a very successful business owner, respects any resume she reads with nanny on it.

Before you insult the girls that chose to go to tiffs thursday nights, check your facebook pictures with alcoholic beverages. Maybe someone should fill you in on internships and future jobs, and how they really look down on that :)

It sounds to me like you need to tie your hair up and lighten up- were in college. Take off the mink coat and throw on a sweatshirt. Be confident with who you are, not who you’re wearing.

52. Ryen Densmore
    Mar. 7, 2012 6:18 PM

This article couldn’t be more offensive. The main reason this upsets me so much is because I have worked so hard for my unpaid internship for the last few months to become my life long dream to be a Wedding and event planner. I haven’t had a day off in over 3 weeks between my part time job, my internship and school. Who are you to tell me I can’t go out on Thursday to relax? if I want to wear an off-the-shoulder sweater I will. Also, by next year I will be a wedding planner and I don’t graduate for 2 years. How am I getting promotions if I’m so unprofessional? Well guess what, I am professional and doing something with my life and I go out whenever I want and wear whatever I want. What do you have to say to that?

53. Teresa Kastelic
    Mar. 7, 2012 6:58 PM

Even though I think most of the points I am about to talk about were already expressed in above comments, I feel I need to also express my anger towards this article. Who are you to pass judgment on those you have not once talked to? Aren’t we taught at a very young age to not judge a book by its cover? Maybe you missed that part of grade school.
    1) Last I checked “showing your shoulders” does not mean disrespecting yourself.  Yes, I have attended Tiffs on a Thursday. Does that make inferior to you? I don’t know you and what you have accomplished, but you don’t know me either.  Attending Tiffs should not be the deciding factor of who is a better, more professional person.
    2) I heard a comment stated a few times about people who do dress up for class.  They claimed that people who dress up for class are people who think way too highly of themselves and are prudes.  My response to them was the same: do not pass judgment on people you don’t know.  We are all just people. We have enough pressures each day about not being too fat, too skinny, too ugly, too pretty, too social, too kept to ourselves.  And now we have too worry about being too “unprofessional” just by what we wear to class?  We have too many other things to worry about such as passing class, making…

54. Teresa Kastelic
    Mar. 7, 2012 6:59 PM

enough money for necessary expenses, finding a good job, that this should not be a part of our mental agenda.Plain and simple: Work with multiple children for a few hours and see how much not only you teach them, but what they teach you. If that isn’t life experience, I don’t know what is. Hey, “you might even grow up a little.”

55. A. J. Hunt
    Mar. 7, 2012 8:36 PM

I respect the author’s idea that students owe it to themselves to be profressional. This is 100% true. However, it is a far cry to demand professionalism from one’s peers and then proceed to lower oneself to stereotypes, unrealistic demands, and insisting that a middle class, business-educated paradigm is the right route for everyone to take. This is simply not true. I am a UST senior headed to law school next fall, and I work 41 hours every week, and have for the duration of my senior year. I have yet to meet anyone in my professional development who would take such a draconian approach to college. My supervisors within a multinational corporation would never look at someone’s classroom attire as an indication of profressional competancy. Ultimately, whatever makes students the most comfortable to learn and improve skills is best decision (it is, after all, the reason we spend a decent year’s salary to be here.) In addition, how can one preach self respect in the same sentence that internships are potrayed as the penultimate summer endeavor? To me, working for free instead of seeking gainful employment that helps fund one’s own education is the lowest denominator of dependency and indicates the lack of ‘grown-up’ traits. I think many of my classmates would agree.

56. A. J. Hunt
    Mar. 7, 2012 8:39 PM

Besides, I can’t imagine wanting to work in a place that finds sweatshirts inappropriate on a college campus, or frowns upon having a cold beer with one’s friends after a long, productive week. I’ll respectfully pass on the wise words of the author and cite someone who has made much more money and had a much bigger impact than anyone who has commented here thus far; Bob Dylan. “What’s money? A man is a success if he gets up in the morning, goes to bed at night, and in between does what he wants to do.” See you on Thursdays, my friends.

57. A. J. Hunt
    Mar. 7, 2012 8:44 PM

^the lack of grown up traits the author is so desperate to espouse.

58. Fallon Macemon
    Mar. 7, 2012 9:14 PM

Dear Author:

I can’t even believe this article.  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I go to class everyday in sweats and I quite frankly don’t care whatsoever.  I am happy, I am productive, I respect myself, and I am professional, WHEN I NEED TO BE. I volunteer weekly at Children’s Dental Services and am SURE to wear the proper business attire each and every week.  With that being said, when I go to class at 8 am every morning after having studied until 2 in the morning the previous night to be SUCCESSFUL and RESPONSIBLE by receiving A’s, I could care less what people like YOU think of me and the rest of us.  FURTHERMORE, you are entitled to your opinion, that’s great, round of applause, but I’m afraid we are all entitled to our own opinions too and I would LOVE for you to hear mine.  Here’s my email: mace4947@stthomas.edu.  Let’s be realistic, it would be UNPROFESSIONAL of me, if I chose to give my opinion right here.  I must add one last thing, USG gives out free homecoming sweatshirts every year for UST students, with the hopes that they will WEAR them and USE them.  I guess maybe now we should start giving out “nice pants, and conservative shirts”.  I’ve said my peace.

59. Nick Michalak
    Mar. 7, 2012 9:55 PM

Should people respect “nice pants and a conservative shirt” over leggings and bunned hair? In all contexts? Should every campus culture uphold these dress values? I know some do, and they do great, but if it is the case that our educational values are loosening, do you think we should focus on such an obvious downstream solution as what students wear? To me, you’re fervently advocating that respect ought to be earned in large part through clothes. Also, youre probably the billionth person to unsuccessfully yell at people to make them stop drinking…awkward.

60. Nick Henderson
    Mar. 7, 2012 11:19 PM

I wouldn’t be too quick to judge her. This is just an opinion article. Everyone is entitled to their own, even if no one agrees with it. Maybe instead of attacking either the article or the person wrote it, take the time and look at yourself.

61. Fallon Macemon
    Mar. 7, 2012 11:59 PM

wouldn’t be took quick to judge HER? you could say the exact same about the author.  was she not “quick to judge” and stereotype a large population of UST students?  and if you look back at my statement, it indicated clearly that each and every person is entitled to their own opinion, including the author.  chill dude.

62. Erika Jarnes
    Mar. 8, 2012 1:24 AM

The ironic thing about this article on “professionalism” is how unprofessional it was.
    1. Not all people go to Tiff’s to “drink so much that it makes you act dumb.” As much as we would all love to think college is simply about achieving academic greatness, college is also one giant social event. Perhaps people work 3 jobs and Tiff’s is their time to let loose.2. I don’t judge the people that wake up early to look pristine, but I am not interested in spending my time this way. I don’t think it’s anyone’s place to judge me for wearing sweats and a bun if I don’t judge them either. We always try so hard to fit the beauty standard, but I just want a couple extra hours of sleep! Respect different interests.3. CRINGE! To me, this says that raising 3 children (feeding, bathing, disciplining, etc) means my mom never had a “real job.” Some women WORK 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, but don’t get payment or recognition. Nannying is a job and if you say it isn’t, you’ve clearly never been a nanny or a mother… and have never experienced the bliss of not paying taxes. When I “grow up a little” and join the “adult world” I would like to be a mother… nannying has prepared me for that.
    WE NEED TO STOP JUDGING! Accept one another and celebrate differences…

63. Erika Jarnes
    Mar. 8, 2012 2:06 AM

P.S. My partner was a nanny the past two summers and if you ask him, I’m sure he’ll tell any woman OR MAN interested in the role of childcare how hard it is.

64. Brendan Ekstrom
    Mar. 8, 2012 8:58 AM

I realize most of us are in Minnesota and we’re supposed to be “nice,” but what’s wrong with criticizing someone’s opinion? I don’t think anyone is questioning whether the author is entitled to her own opinion (that’d be really dumb). They’re just (repeatedly) stating how offensive her opinion is to them.

65. Katy Vang
    Mar. 8, 2012 1:34 PM

So far, there have been several comments regarding putting Hannah “in her place” or making fun of her for supposedly not being invited to Tiff’s. We all need to stop and realize that we should be attacking the OPINION, not Hannah herself. After all, the opinion that she’s written is reflected in millions of people’s minds across the world. Maybe we should emphasize that if Hannah wants to wear “conservative” clothing, then she is allowed to. She should be encouraged to wear what she feels comfortable in. However, that comfort should be extended to ALL people, regardless of what our assumptions about them entail. We should be talking about how there is not a direct relationship between self esteem and how much clothing you have on. This goes beyond college, as well. While some people may judge you for the clothes you wear, it is not up to you to simply fit yourself to their expectations. THEY need to be told that judging people for something as simple as clothing is wrong. They, after all, are human beings who are capable of change, especially if that change produces a more loving, accepting environment in which people don’t have to be intimidated by the mere thought of existing in the same public sphere as someone else because of the combination of fabric they chose to…

66. Breah Sanders
    Mar. 8, 2012 3:05 PM

I wear my hair “bundled” on top of my head daily and I can guarantee my GPA is higher than yours. What I wear to a college class is irrelevant to how professional I can be when it comes to a career. You’re obviously entitled to your own opinion, but attacking a large majority of girls on this campus is going to get you negative feedback. If your future employer knew you judged people like this, do you think he would call you professional and hire you?

67. Libby Benda
    Mar. 8, 2012 4:23 PM

As a hard-working student who has a lot of experience from internships and other opportunities in the professional field, I say this:  professionals want you to be real people. It is good to have a few scars of individuality in the work place, and on campus for that matter.

Being a nanny for 4 years has taught me a lot, by the way.

It is in our basic human rights that we are able to take advantage of the free country we live in and not fall into line with every other student at St. Thomas.  Respecting yourself is important, you’re right, but respecting others in your community transcends to the respect you will have for your future co-workers.

…I say this in return: You are disrespecting the UST student body.  You are entitled to your own opinions, but at the end of the day we will work hard, play hard, and step away from conformity to create our own brands of life.  The future holds spots for those creative and genius enough to think outside of the box.  This article is the glue that the box is made out of.

Here’s to always remembering who we are as individuals and respecting our peers; thinking outside of the box and looking towards a future that doesn’t involve a “certain type” of person or “look” to strive toward making their distinct mark…

68. Ryan O’Shaughnessy
    Mar. 8, 2012 4:26 PM

While this article doesn’t present its point in the most tactful manner, I think there’s an important truth it touches on. Habits of conduct you form now will become integrated into your personality and will, perhaps imperceptibly, change the way you act and the way others perceive you. If one consistently speaks, acts, or dresses in a sloppy, unbecoming, or undisciplined manner, those habits of living will become “set in concrete,” so to speak, and be very difficult to change in the future. The idea that “I’ll be professional when I need to be” only goes skin-deep, and sooner or later employees and peers will glimpse those un-disciplined and un-checked parts of your personality in the way you speak and act. Humbly examining yourself as an individual while in college and making a concerted effort be more disciplined, virtuous, modest, etc. will benefit you greatly in this life (and the next!)

69. Joey Cameron
    Mar. 8, 2012 5:18 PM

This was embarrassing, plain and simple.  Erika Jarnes summed it up well.  I’ll add 2 cents…Getting hired on the basis of what you look like is something we need to strive to get away from.  Your credentials are what matter.  There is a time and a place to present yourself and look “professional”, this doesn’t need to be in the classroom..  Your grade isnt based off of how bangin’ you look in class. You don’t put on a resume “Go to tiffs every Thursday” in affiliations either. I go out 85% of thursdays and can honestly say Im making good ground in the professional world, from internship and job opportunities, to promotions in present jobs…Many of these skills come from being in social setting like bars. Many of us who go out also do very well academically, we learn to balance between work and play. I would say I present myself professionally along with the majority of UST, including women who wear yoga pants, leggings and no makeup.  You are all beautiful, what she says and how she views our school is also not how the majority of UST students view this school.  Stop confirming stereotypes, they do not apply to everyone.  People have their own set of skills and appearances.  We are all independent thinkers. Go to class not giving a crap what you look like,…

70. Steve Schriver
    Mar. 8, 2012 7:58 PM

“Judge not, lest ye be judged.”

Oh, sorry….did they not get to that lesson yet in Christian Marriage?

71. Oisin quinn
    Mar. 8, 2012 8:03 PM

Hahaha…this is a joke right? I have plenty of female friends who do all of the said “unprofessional” actions above.they are highly professional,and have good internships.I was going to get more serious,but this is clearly a bad joke.

72. Steve Schriver
    Mar. 8, 2012 8:22 PM

<<>>

You should read Hannah’s article a  bit more closely– I think she would consider your choice to wear sweatshirts ‘unprofessional’

Unless….*gasp!* she’s advocating for a double standard between women and men???

” when I see women on our campus walking around in Leggings, I literally just want to vomit or puke because it looks too trashy.”

Goodness, I feel sorry for you. Perhaps you should look away if somebody else’s physical appearance can upset your stomach that much

” I hate to say this, I really do, and I apoklogize for this, but women claim they want respect, but then go around doing bizarre things and having “girlish fun”.”

Well, I guess since you apologized ahead of time, it’s ok to say things that are ridiculous…

“How you act in college will translate to how you  act in the professional world”

No, not really. How you act in the workplace is a much better indicator of how you’ll act in the professional world. It’s called “appropriate boundaries.” Most adults (judging from…

73. Steve Schriver
    Mar. 8, 2012 8:23 PM

^^^Above post meant for David Masak

74. Tony Andrade
    Mar. 8, 2012 8:28 PM

How this article got posted is beyond me.

75. Lesle Marshall-Mahlik
    Mar. 8, 2012 8:55 PM

my body, my choices.

76. Meagan E. Tinajero
    Mar. 8, 2012 9:43 PM

The objectification of women, that’s exactly what this school and society do NOT need more of; so if you’re done attempting to solve this campus’s issues with your genius solutions, I suggest you take the time to realize that REAL and professional woman do not marginalize their own sex (or any other group of people for that matter). I agree with Lesle M.–my body, my choices. People have the option to wear what makes them comfortable and happy whenever they want. That is exactly why we have chosen to live in America. I think you owe all of the women on this campus an apology, but I won’t hold my breath. By the way, who died and made you Fr. Dease?

77. Jackie Wylie
    Mar. 8, 2012 10:35 PM

I have many comments I could choose to leave here, but I will just say that I understand that this is an opinion, but the sweeping stereotypes and rash judgements of this article are not good journalism, and seeing this published on tommiemedia makes it hard for me to say I’m proud to be a tommie.

78. Ryan O’Shaughnessy
    Mar. 8, 2012 11:01 PM

Lesle and Meagan,

Granted that you both have the free will to do what you wish with your bodies (which doesn’t admit that you *should* do whatever you wish with them), but  it must be admitted that wearing leggings, while they may be comfortable, do add to the objectification of women by allowing men to glimpse everything about your body but the bare skin itself. For the sake of comfort, leggings effectively bring women to one step short of being naked (I suppose a similar argument could be made for short-shorts). One could say that men don’t have to think about it, but that would require near saint-level virtue. I’d just encourage women that the next time they consider wearing leggings out, have some mercy on the poor men and don’t make it any harder for them to live and think chastely.

79. Tom Kreitzer ’11
    Mar. 9, 2012 9:14 AM

I decided to keep my mouth shut on this article for quite some time, but alas, I capitulate. This article just makes me laugh (I pretend it is satirical, not reality)

I do not agree with  the public evisceration of the author; saying demeaning things about her as a person is just not fair (or warranted)… it is very much on par with Rush Limbaugh.

Having said that, attack the ARTICLE for what it is: a judgmental, pious, naive, and pretentious take on what the author believes to be the “steps on the right(eous) path”.

As a grad student in DC, I cannot tell you how many of my classmates work for DOD, the FBI, or other agencies in the federal government… Many of them come to our evening classes in sweatpants with their hair back or other things that this article perceives as inappropriate for the “adult world”. Nobody judges them for what they look like, because most of us work during the day and need to relax at night. We even go for beers after 5 hours of night class!

Dressing up and conservatively for class is a personal decision. My choice to enjoy a manhattan (or 3) on a Thursday night is one as well. It is time that we learn that what may be the right path for you is not the right path for others, and stop trying to shove your opinion down my…

80. Tom Kreitzer ’11
    Mar. 9, 2012 9:15 AM

…throat. Thank you tommiemedia for cutting the last 6 characters from my response, even though I still had 20 left!

81. Jon Gall
    Mar. 9, 2012 12:36 PM

The most professional, kind, caring people I know wear sweatpants and leggings and tend to have messy hair when not at work. The most egotistical, judgmental, uncaring people I know dress in nice expensive clothing every day. I believe everyone should wear sweatpants every day because of this. See what I did there? I made a sweeping generalization. However, this is actually true to my personal experience.  The most productive, professional people I have known tend to have “unconventional” clothing choices.  Who knows why, maybe they’re too busy being productive to care about what they wear to class. Typically, most of the well dressed people I’ve known tend to do worse in class, and were less professional in the sense of politeness. See, that’s just my personal experience. I don’t believe this to actually be true. I’m able to expand from my personal experiences and realize that my experiences don’t define how the world runs, or should run. I think there’s some merit in your opinion. It’s a fact (an unfortunate one in my opinion) that many employers will judge you based on your clothing. The things is, these girls you refer to aren’t going to go to an interview in leggings. People aren’t stupid enough to do that, everyone is going to dress well for an interview, and…

82. Jon Gall
    Mar. 9, 2012 12:36 PM

What truly matters is the person, and clothing has nothing to do with that.  If you are saying that a person must dress well everyday to develop an attitude of a professional, that is absolutely ridiculous. If a person is so malleable that what they wear actually changes how they behave then they probably would not be a good employee.  I don’t really understand the whole Tiffs thing either. If a person is underage then yeah, they probably shouldn’t go to Tiffs (or they at least should not post facebook pictures of them being there). Even so, going to Tiffs for a night to relax and have fun doesn’t make a person less professional. People have different methods to relax, if it doesn’t affect their work ethic then there’s no problem. I am inclined to agree about the importance of Internship, but the bashing of  nannying was unnecessary. We can all agree that internships are good for experience, but that doesn’t make nannying bad, especially since you don’t know their ideal profession. Nannying can provide a lot of experience in teaching, patience, multi-tasking, etc.

83. Jon Gall
    Mar. 9, 2012 12:36 PM

I guess that’s my 2 cents thrown into the pot of comments here. This opinion article seems like it was trying to be humorous while still trying to make a point, and failed at both.  I’m curious to see if there will be a response when Hannah will more clearly evaluate her thoughts based on all these comments.

84. Patrick Fogarty
    Mar. 9, 2012 12:41 PM

There are so many solid comments, I’m not sure mine is necessary. As someone who is currently employed full-time for a Fortune 10, I’d affirm that professionalism on campus doesn’t necessarily translate to professionalism in the workplace. Throughout college, I worked sometimes 30-40 hours a week, on top of class. I was definitely that student that arrived to class (probably a little late) dressed in sweatpants or jeans and a t-shirt. It was usually because I was running from one thing to the next. This did not translate into poor academic achievement or a lack of professionalism. I was judged by my classmates and professors on soundness and quality of ideas and discussion. I’ll admit, arriving late is not professional, but I was a 20 year old with too many things on my plate. Such is the case for many of my peers. I’ve also been known to enjoy a libation or 6 on a Thursday night. There is no need to chastise those who do so. We run around all week long from jobs to class to group meetings; it is important to step back and take a second for yourself. I suppose that is why I’ll continue to go out on Thursday/Friday/Saturday. And, now that I dress up M-F, 8-6… you bet the first thing I do when I get home is change into sweatpants. Does that mean I’m unprofessional? No.

85. Ashley Johnson
    Mar. 9, 2012 5:02 PM

I am a female that attends the University of Saint Thomas. I am a junior, I go to class in sweatpants, sometimes I wear leggings, and I love to nanny. I am not about reprimanding the author for her personal opinions, but to purely to dissect the deeper issue of self-respect and professional on a broader stance. I will review the content of the article, the responses to the article, and the deeper message itself in hopes to give another side a fighting chance.

The previous article encompassed several humanistic issues under one title of being “professional”. It was centered on gender and pinpointed a few select observations and tried to apply it to the broad topic of professionalism. I was supremely disappointed in the article’s lack of eloquence and objectivity to the matter. It is not to say that the author didn’t have a reasonable point to make: there are people that lack professionalism; we’ve all seen it. The original idea of self-respect is also always a good topic to convey, not only to females but men as well.

However, how the author went about in regards to this message, I believe, was inequitable. It was not fair to single out specific occurrences such as leggings, or a particular job choice, deeming someone who fits that specific bill to…

86. Ashley Johnson
    Mar. 9, 2012 5:03 PM

be unprofessional. In doing so, IF she had any inclination to convert the opinions of others, by being too aggressive in her standpoint, and berating rather than teaching others, she shut out her audience. The world is filled with all kinds of different people, at least, that’s the after school special I have always been taught. I don’t always agree with the choices people make, but I appreciate their choice to make them. As I do not agree with the author’s choice in her article, I respect that she can make that decision to herself.

It is also not to say that I am not being fair to the author herself. She may not have intended to try and change people; she merely could have been stating what she disliked. And for those who took offense (at the risk of sound preachy), however reasonably it was to do so, should still maintain enough dignity not to attack her personally, but to relay their opinions in a constructive manner. Name calling and degrading gets us nowhere.

To the content of the article: it is not right to create a “cookie cutter image” of what professionalism should entail and to expect everyone to adhere to it. There are some socially accepted generalizations of professionalism that can be applied such as, being on time, wearing clothes that…

87. Ashley Johnson
    Mar. 9, 2012 5:04 PM

cover the body, etc. At the right time, these are all reasonable things to be expected in a professional environment, internships, jobs and things of that nature. However, we live in a unique situation when attending college. Most of us live on campus; the campus is our community and a home environment. Home is supposed to be a safe haven, in that we aren’t scrutinized for what we do in our own personal space. The college campus is a middle ground, it’s not work, but it’s not entirely our living room. Because of this junction, there’s bound to be overlay, ie: people are comfortable enough to wear sweat pants around.

There will always be females that dress more provocatively than others. I personally prefer the jeans and a loose fighting t-shirt route, but it’s not to say that because I show less skin I stand to be the more “self-respected” female. Some may even argue, the more skin woman are comfortable with showing, the more respect that they have for themselves to embrace their sexuality. We live in a world of contradictions, we’re consistently blasted with images of sexuality in the media, and it’s become part of our culture. We’re told to embrace our woman hood, but told that we must censor ourselves at the same time. Whether you agree with it or…

88. Ashley Johnson
    Mar. 9, 2012 5:04 PM

The fact of the matter still stands, you are welcome to your opinions but don’t use them as an excuse to look down at others who disagree.

Frankly, I think we spend too much time being self concerned with image that we lose sight of more important matters and the appreciation that we are free to do as we choose.

As always, at least we don’t have Godzilla attacking the city or something.

-AJ

89. Molly Hanten
    Mar. 10, 2012 12:00 AM

I went to St. Thomas, I graduated, I got drunk at Tiffs a lot, I wore leggings (I still do), all of my friends did too. We also worked hard and learned a lot… now we have jobs and still get drunk.

90. Callie Knudslien
    Apr. 27, 2012 11:51 PM

I believe Ryan O’Shaugnessy did a better job of stating the point of the article than the author did: “Habits of conduct you form now will become integrated into your personality and will, perhaps imperceptibly, change the way you act and the way others perceive you. If one consistently speaks, acts, or dresses in a sloppy, unbecoming, or undisciplined manner, those habits of living will become “set in concrete,” so to speak, and be very difficult to change in the future.”

Bravo, Ryan, for stating something worthwhile that was not judgmental or misogynistic. I am honestly astounded at how pretentious this article is — how quick the author was to take a pretentious “holier-than-thou” stance against girls wearing their hair a certain way, working certain kinds of jobs, or going out for social events (guess what? In the professional world, you need to learn how to balance home, work, and social life. Better to learn how to do it now!)

While this IS an opinion piece, I do hope that Tommie Media will re-think the quality of material they publish and start expecting more professionalism of their writers. This topic is a worthwhile one, but TERRIBLY executed.

91. Chris Martin
    May. 16, 2013 9:11 PM

This may be over a year old, but it’s still a classic. Just delightful. I wish people took this to heart…